Nā ‘Ohana O Nā Hui Wa‘a
E Komo Mai
Hui Wa‘a regattas are scheduled for Sundays from May 25 through July 13. The Hui Wa‘a Championship regatta is scheduled for Saturday, July 19, and States are scheduled for Saturday, August 2 at Ke‘ehi Lagoon. These races serve as fundraisers for the clubs sponsoring them.
This year there are 42 events, including the Special race that starts each day’s competition. Racing usually starts by 8:30am and should be finished between 4:30 and 5:00pm. Bear in mind that parking and traffic at venues other than Ke‘ehi Lagoon can be very difficult.
2014 Distance Races
Hui Wa‘a is organized exclusively for the following purposes:
- To maintain and perpetuate Hawaiian culture through the promotion of Hawaiian water sports;
- To teach, train, instruct, and expose children, men and women in the ancient art, craft and history of Hawaiian canoeing;
- To provide means and facilities for activities tending to foster the development and maintenance of strong and healthy minds, bodies and spirits among all people;
- To provide opportunities for the interaction and communion of people in the interest of mental and social well-being; and
- To promote international canoe racing competition. Hui Wa‘a is organized exclusively as a social welfare organization engaged in the promotion of an amateur sport, including for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code.